How Do I Choose a Divorce Attorney?
The fact is that divorce is an emotional journey and a complicated legal matter that will directly affect your parental rights and your finances moving forward, which means you need to allow it the legal attention it deserves. The surest way to help protect your rights throughout the divorce process is by choosing the right divorce attorney for you, and fortunately, there are some useful considerations that can help you do just that.
Finding the Right Lawyer for You
Your divorce is a very personal matter, and you are going to need a divorce attorney with whom you are comfortable opening up. This is a great starting point in your efforts to find a divorce attorney who is a good fit for you, and the other primary considerations that should guide you include
- A Divorce Focus – You need a divorce, which means you need an experienced attorney whose legal focus is divorce. An attorney who dabbles in divorce is unlikely to be the way to go.
- Relevant Experience – If your divorce is complicated in any way, such as by high assets, business ownership, contentiousness, or anything else, you need a divorce attorney who has considerable experience successfully guiding cases like yours toward favorable resolutions.
- Resources – Again, if your divorce is complicated, you’ll very likely need additional professionals on your side, which can mean a forensic accountant, a business valuator, a therapist who specializes in child custody concerns, and more. Having an attorney who has a working relationship with such professionals and who can recommend one that is a good fit for you can prove invaluable.
- Negotiating Skills – Ultimately, your divorce will boil down to negotiating terms with your spouse (or turning to the court for its intervention if your efforts to negotiate fail). The stronger your divorce attorney’s skills as a negotiator, the better your chances of keeping your divorce out of the court and of limiting the time, frustration, and expense involved in the process.
- Excellent Advice – One of the most important qualities to look for in an attorney is solid advice. While you want your parental and financial rights well protected, you don’t want to waste time, money, and heartache on chasing divorce terms that have little chance of coming to fruition. A skilled divorce attorney will help you choose your battles wisely.
- Prioritization – The right divorce attorney for you will help you pinpoint your priorities as they relate to your divorce and, from here, will help you strategize your best path forward. A divorce attorney who takes a scattershot approach is not going to provide you with the level of professional legal guidance you’re looking for.
An Experienced Virginia Divorce Attorney Can Help
If a divorce is in your future, the distinguished Virginia divorce attorneys at Mahoney & Richmond, PLLC, dedicate their practice to helping clients like you resolve their divorce concerns as effectively and efficiently as possible. We are on your side and here to help, so please don’t wait to contact us for more information today.